Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Attitude of Gratitude

“If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.“ – Rabbi Harold Kushner
Since the start of 2010, I could say that me and my family were bashed by life’s hardships and trials. I remember the passion of posting inspirational articles being gradually eroded by such tremendous storms of life.

But as I once again retrospect, there was one attitude I have forgotten to exercise, which could save my ever-burning passion…

• Though my dad was stabbed twice in the stomach last January 2010, the fact is, he is still alive and well; and actually, while I’m composing this blog, he is busy doing some woodwork stuffs (and it is just less than a year!).

• Though we have soaring financial debts, by God’s grace, we were back on track paying those bills in a regular basis.

• Though my parents were in the verge of separation due to having different opinions on many things, indeed by God’s grace, they are now as sweet as honey with each other.

• Though I could not travel abroad for now for vacation, I have spent some vacation in Cebu and Bohol last February 2010, and in Palawan last November 2010. (and perhaps my next goal is to bring my whole family to one of those places next time)

• Though I see myself many times as a wretched and hopeless man, God would still show Himself as a mighty yet loving God!

• Though we don’t have the great riches of this world, we have the riches of God’s mercy and grace.

• Though I am such a useless and despicable creature, God grants me forgiveness and grace through Jesus! He helps me in my struggles, and strengthens me up in every step of the way.

Have you guessed what attitude I forgot to practice?

Hmm.. well, I think you guessed it right!

The Attitude of Gratitude!
Who among you does not have any problems at all?
Who among you has not encountered any hardships in life?
Who among you has not experienced pain?
Who among you has not lost a loved one?
Who among you has not hurt someone or perhaps been hurt by someone?

I think no one is exempted of all or some of the above situations!

But one thing can be common: of all those problems, hardships, pain, losing, and hurt, there are always things you can be thankful to God for!!!

Do you still have your job?
Thank God for that!

Do you still have your health and physical strength?
Thank God for that!

Are your family still complete and living happily?
Thank God for that!

Do you still have a roof to live in?
Thank God for that!

Do you have trusted and good friends around you, ever supporting you along the way?
Thank God for that!

As Psalm 136:1-9, 26 says:

Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.

Oh, give thanks to the God of gods!
For His mercy endures forever.

Oh, give thanks to the Lord of lords!
For His mercy endures forever:

To Him who alone does great wonders,
For His mercy endures forever;

To Him who by wisdom made the heavens,
For His mercy endures forever;

To Him who laid out the earth above the waters,
For His mercy endures forever;

To Him who made great lights,
For His mercy endures forever—

The sun to rule by day,
For His mercy endures forever;

The moon and stars to rule by night,
For His mercy endures forever.

Oh, give thanks to the God of heaven!
For His mercy endures forever.
The psalmist even thanked God for His awesome works on His creation!

Indeed, God’s mercy endures forever!

May we excel acquiring the attitude of gratitude!

© 2011 Erickson Ibana

No comments:

Post a Comment