Sunday, September 4, 2011

How Do You Know You're in Love?


How do you know you’re in love?

a. when you feel that tingling sensations in your belly
b. when you are already seeing that person's face on your coffee
c. when you are hearing that person's voice almost everywhere you go
d. when you can’t sleep or eat well, without seeing that person first

Quite familiar? Honestly, those were my definitions of love before. High school life seems not complete without these scenarios. These experiences seem to add color to your teen life. As I remember it, there were times when it seemed the day was not complete if I didn't get to see her. And when she was ill, it seemed that I would fly towards her just to let her know that I care.

But, are these the real indicators of what true love is? 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 says:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails…
As I have pondered on these things, I’ve realized that my definitions of love was a way too far from what true love is. Love is patient, but I was impatient if I didn’t see her everyday. Love does not envy, but I felt so terribly envious whenever she talks to any other boys in the class.

Then, how could we grow in the true love? Quoting Vernon Grounds, a former writer for Our Daily Bread, who has been married for more than 70 years:

Ponder God’s love in Christ. Take time to reflect on how He gave His life for you. Read about Him in the Gospels, and thank Him.

Pray for the love of God. Ask Him to give you an understanding of His love and to teach you how to live that out in your relationships with your spouse and others (1 Cor. 13).

Practice the love of God. Give of yourself. A newlywed told me he thinks love is practical. He said, “My responsibility is to make life easier for my spouse.” The other, tougher side of love is to challenge each other to act in godly ways.
Perhaps you ask “Hey! I was talking about love, but why is it that you’re talking about love of God?!”

Actually, the source of true love is God Himself. 1 John 4:7-8 says:

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Indeed, love is NOT JUST purely emotions. It is not just that time-stopping ♪♫ "why-do-birds-suddenly-appear-when-I-know-that-you're-here" ♪♫ experience... 

And the ultimate example of true love? 1 John 4:9-10 says:

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
Jesus loves you so much, and if you’d let Him, He would show you more how much He loves you!

Now, how do you know you’re in love?

© 2011 Erickson Ibana

4 comments:

  1. very inspiring, indeed. Kuya, this is very nice. Thanks for sharing. I literally cried after I've read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww.. you're welcome, and thanks din Pochi.. :)
    I'm glad to see another fellow Christian blogger.. I'm looking forward for your posts din! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hala, nahihiya nga po ako sa mga pinagsusulat ko dun eh :) kulang sa confidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. uy, ok naman ah.. actually, blogging is all about expressing yourself.. you just have to express yourself through writing, and you'll have a great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete